Tuesday, January 17, 2006

New Orleans Mayor to Join Food Network; Nagin-Torres Smackdown Expected

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana -- (CNN -- Cajun News Network) -- New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin has announced that he will be hosting a new cooking show on the popular cable channel the Food Network.

In a news briefing this morning, Nagin commented, "This new cooking show is the unexpected result of my recent statement on the 'chocolate' nature of my city. I am, of course, delighted to take my chocolate recipe to a wider audience. As I said previously,

"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about. New Orleans was a chocolate city before Katrina. It is going to be a chocolate city after. How is that divisive? It is white and black working together, coming together and making something special."

Nagin has received some criticism for stating that New Orleans was and should be again a black majority city -- in his words, "chocolate." In a speech delivered yesterday on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Nagin stated: "This city will be chocolate at the end of the day. This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be."

God could not be reached for comment.

CNN was instead able to reach Food Network's reigning chocolate expert, Jacques Torres, in a phone interview. Mr. Torres was not pleased about Nagin's being hiring to be his potential TV rival.

"If Monsieur Nagin wants a chocolate war, zen I will be tres happy to geev eet to heem," said Torres. "He'll see zat my confections can run circles around heez pathetically amateurish hot chocolate recipe. Maybe I will make my desserts out of white chocolate. I will show Nagin and zee world that I am not called Meester Chocolat for nothing."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like chocolate with lots of nuts. Is that politically correct?

2:28 PM  
Blogger Lady Jane said...

Hilarious!!!! I'm a huge Food Network fan, so this is great!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home